Friday, May 15, 2009

Thing Twenty

I am very sure that books will be around for a long, long time. A "paperless" society was speculated about years ago and yet we seem to push around more paper than eve. In thinking about books and why I think they will always exist, I realized that the things that are essential to our lives haven't changed all that much. We need to eat and drink and though styles of forks, knives, spoons, cups and glasses may change; we still use them pretty much as they were originally invented. No one has proposed that we just switch to an IV drip. Or, maybe someone has....hmmm. We need shelter, and houses really haven't changed that much for centuries. I don't know anyone in favor of getting read of musical instruments just because we have taped or digitalized music. It seems as if it's only the things that are not essential to our lives that we stop using, discard or invent something that completely takes its place. I really tried to think of things that have disappeared altogether, but all I can think of are 8 track tapes, Super 8 movie cameras, Beta videoplayers, etc. All technology related--so maybe it's the Kindles and the Sony Readers that we won't be seeing in the future.
I added Visual Bookshelf to my Facebook profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment