Thursday, January 29, 2009

Second Thing

I read several of the articles yesterday, have read lots of other articles on Library 2.0 and Web 2.0. especially during the past year, and I watched the Stephen Abram video. It's going to be interesting to see if he's right about the "unintended" consequences of 23 Things--that the dynamics and culture of our library will change, as will the way we view of our patrons. One thing he was wrong about. Finding time for this isn't easy. So far, I've only been able to work on 23 Things at home. I talked to other librarians today at a focus group for NEFLIN that was held at the Tower Road library and they agreed. They were also finding it difficult to find the time and those who are way ahead of me in the process tell me that it just gets harder as the "things" get more complex. It's worth it though, and I know I'll enjoy it. I loved Sara Houghton's definition of Library 2.0. "...to get people back into the library by making the library relevant to what they want and need in their daily lives...to make the library a destination and not an afterthought." That's what we're trying to do by learning and practicing all these new "things." I can't wait to see how it changes the dynamics of ACLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment